Chapter 9: Administration
9.4.2 Child Records
220.127.116.11: Contents of Facility Health Log for Each Child
The file for each child should include a facility health log maintained on an ongoing basis by designated staff. The facility health log should include:
- Staff and parent/guardian observations of the child’s health status, behavior, and physical condition;
- Response to any treatment provided while the child is in child care, and any observable side effects;
- Notations of health-related referrals and follow-up action;
- Notations of health-related communications with parents/guardians or the child’s primary care provider;
- Staff observations of changes in and assessments of the child’s learning and social activity;
- Documentation of planned communication with parents/guardians and a list of participants involved;
- Documentation of parent/guardian participation in health education.
RATIONALEA facility health log maintained by caregivers/teachers can document staff’s observations and concerns that may lead to intervention decisions.
COMMENTSThe facility health log is a confidential, chronologically-oriented location for the recording of staff observations, patterns of illness, and parent/guardian concerns. It can be followed and can become guidelines for intervention, if needed.
Facility observation logs provide useful information over time on each child’s unique characteristics. Parents/guardians and caregivers/teachers can use these logs in planning for the child’s needs. On occasion, the child’s primary care provider can use them as an aid in diagnosing health conditions.
“Hands-on” opportunities for parents/guardians to work with their own child or others in the company of caregivers/teachers should be encouraged and documented.
Staff notations on communication with parents/guardians can be in a parent/guardian log separate from the child’s health record.
TYPE OF FACILITYCenter, Large Family Child Care Home
RELATED STANDARDS18.104.22.168 Parent/Guardian Conferences
22.214.171.124 Support Services for Parents/Guardians
126.96.36.199 Opportunities for Communication and Modeling of Health and Safety Education for Parents/Guardians
188.8.131.52 Parent/Guardian Education Plan
184.108.40.206 Availability of Documents to Parents/Guardians
Appendix F: Enrollment/Attendance/Symptom Record
Appendix AA: Medication Administration Packet