Caring for Our Children (CFOC)

Chapter 8: Children with Special Health Care Needs and Disabilities

8.7 Assessment of Facilities for Children with Special Needs

8.7.0 Technical Assistance in Developing Plan

The caregiver/teacher should seek technical assistance in developing and formulating the plan for future services for children with special health care needs.
Assistance is needed where caregivers/teachers lack specific capabilities.
Documentation of the caregiver’s/teacher’s request and of the regulating agencies’ responses in offering or providing assistance furnishes evidence of compliance. State regulatory agencies should be in a position to provide such assistance to facilities.

Training and other technical assistance sources can be obtained from or arranged by the following:

  1. Child’s primary care provider;
  2. Program’s child care health consultant;
  3. Local children’s hospital;
  4. American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP);
  5. National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP);
  6. American Nurses Association (ANA);
  7. National Association of School Nurses (NASN);
  8. State and community nursing associations;
  9. National therapy associations (e.g., National Rehabilitation Association, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies);
  10. Local resource and referral agencies;
  11. Federally funded University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research, and Service (UCEDD);
  12. Other colleges and universities with expertise in training others to work with children who have special health care needs;
  13. Community-based organizations serving people with disabilities and/or special health care needs (e.g., Autism Society of America, United Cerebral Palsy Associations, ARC, Easter Seals, American Diabetes Association, American Lung Association, Epilepsy Foundation, etc.);
  14. ADA regional technical assistance offices.
Center, Early Head Start, Head Start, Large Family Child Care Home, Small Family Child Care Home
RELATED STANDARDS Resources for Parents/Guardians of Children with Special Health Care Needs Compensation for Participation in Multidisciplinary Assessments for Children with Special Health Care or Education Needs