Chapter 8: Children with Special Health Care Needs and Disabilities
8.7 Assessment of Facilities for Children with Special Needs
220.127.116.11: Technical Assistance in Developing Plan
The caregiver/teacher should seek technical assistance in developing and formulating the plan for future services for children with special health care needs.
RATIONALEAssistance is needed where caregivers/teachers lack specific capabilities.
COMMENTSDocumentation of the caregiver’s/teacher’s request and of the regulating agencies’ responses in offering or providing assistance furnishes evidence of compliance. State regulatory agencies should be in a position to provide such assistance to facilities.
Training and other technical assistance sources can be obtained from or arranged by the following:
- Child’s primary care provider;
- Program’s child care health consultant;
- Local children’s hospital;
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP);
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP);
- American Nurses Association (ANA);
- National Association of School Nurses (NASN);
- State and community nursing associations;
- National therapy associations (e.g., National Rehabilitation Association, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies);
- Local resource and referral agencies;
- Federally funded University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research, and Service (UCEDD);
- Other colleges and universities with expertise in training others to work with children who have special health care needs;
- Community-based organizations serving people with disabilities and/or special health care needs (e.g., Autism Society of America, United Cerebral Palsy Associations, ARC, Easter Seals, American Diabetes Association, American Lung Association, Epilepsy Foundation, etc.);
- ADA regional technical assistance offices.
TYPE OF FACILITYCenter, Early Head Start, Head Start, Large Family Child Care Home, Small Family Child Care Home
RELATED STANDARDS10.3.4.5 Resources for Parents/Guardians of Children with Special Health Care Needs
10.3.4.6 Compensation for Participation in Multidisciplinary Assessments for Children with Special Health Care or Education Needs