Chapter 6: Play Areas/Playgrounds and Transportation
6.3 Water Play Areas (Pools, Etc.)
6.3.2 Pool Equipment
184.108.40.206: Pool Equipment and Chemical Storage Rooms
Early care and education programs should use the following guidelines/best practices for storing pool equipment and pool-related chemicals.1 The design of storage rooms for pool equipment and chemicals should include the following features1:
- Leakproof construction: Chemical storage areas should have a secondary containment mechanism that prevents chemical spills/leaks.
- Ventilation: Ensure that the chemical storage room, pump room, and pool area are well ventilated. Follow local building codes and/or ASHRAE standards for proper ventilation and air handling for chemical storage areas and pump rooms.
- Security: Secure the chemical storage area with a locking mechanism to keep out children and animals as well as to prevent any unwanted tampering with pool-related chemicals.
- Safety: Store chemicals in original containers and according to the manufacturer’s label. Protect chemicals from extreme heat, heat sources, and flames. Practice good housekeeping, keeping storage areas free from rags, trash, debris, etc.
- Related materials: Allow access to up-to-date Safety Data Sheets near the chemical storage area, pump room, and/or other locations that pool-related chemicals may be stored. Allow access to personal protective equipment, such as goggles and gloves, near the chemical storage area, pump room, and/or other locations that pool-related chemicals may be used or stored.
Caregivers/teachers should be trained in pool chemical safety and emergency response procedures to avoid chemical-related injuries or deaths.1
Pool chemicals are kept in concentrated forms that are hazardous to children. Access to these hazards must be carefully controlled to avoid pool chemical-associated injuries or deaths.1
TYPE OF FACILITYCenter, Early Head Start, Head Start, Large Family Child Care Home, Small Family Child Care Home
RELATED STANDARDS220.127.116.11 Construction, Maintenance, and Inspection of Pools
18.104.22.168 Pool Water Quality
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy swimming. Pool chemical safety. https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/aquatics-professionals/preventing-pool-chemical-events.html. Reviewed May 15, 2019. Accessed August 21, 2019
Content in the STANDARD was modified on 02/27/2020.